Wednesday, December 15, 2004

When I was stuck in Buenos Aires, for an additional day, two of the people who were in the same predicament was this couple, Jenny & Bill. On our free day in BA, we ended up at the same part of town. I was sitting outside a cafe, enjoying a cold beer in the sun when they walked by. I invited them to join me and we got to know each other. They were in their early thirties and lived in DC and were both very cool.

When we were back at the airport to get on the flight, the group stuck together. We all looked out for each other to make sure that none of us got left behind. If one of us got special treatment, we made sure that the whole group got it. It felt really good to be part of a group and we all finally made it on the plane.

After we landed, it took me longer to get through immigration and customs, but when I got out of the gates, Jenny & Bill were waiting for me. We said our goodbyes and Jenny handed me her card and told me that they were having a holiday party a couple of weeks later and that they would love it if I came.

So last saturday, I went to Jenny & Bill's holiday party.

As is generally the case at parties where not everyone knows everyone, I was asked how I know the hosts. Most people were surprised when they heard, "Oh we were stuck in Buenos Aires for a day, we got to know each other and they ended up inviting me to their party". Id then tell the complete story and we would talk about how people bond in times of crisis. A few people said things like "Thats totally something Jenny would do!" or the shortened "Oh that's SO Jenny!".

After the second time I heard it, I started responding with, "Yes, apparently it IS so Jenny!" or "I really dont know, Ive only known her for 24 hours."

During one such conversation someone said "Wow, and you made it! Thats so great!" to which I responded, "Yes! That's SO me!"

5 Comments:

Blogger monkistan said...

I think that's totally you gully.

16/12/04 3:49 PM

 
Blogger neverecho said...

ah - that must be the party you invited me to saturday. glad to hear you had fun! sorry i've been out of touch, i've been increasingly anti-social as its gotten colder. if you're around next weekend, we must watch movies and drink lots of yuengling.

17/12/04 7:52 AM

 
Blogger monkistan said...

bring me quarters, biatch

17/12/04 10:55 AM

 
Blogger Norman Rose said...

that is so totally not you, gully. no, i was wrong. you do always make it!

18/12/04 3:20 PM

 
Blogger shashi said...

i've only really met you for six or seven hours, and i think you're great. good job - keep those white people envious of us and our mystic eastern appeal.... :P

21/12/04 12:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home