Friday, October 29, 2004

it's all about spirits and spirits.

so this week has involved a little bit of running around trying to figure out if i can make a costume idea work that initially sounded a bit ridiculous, but slowly started to seem do-able. here's a few highlights from the last couple of days:

unitard - i actually considered getting one of these. A few calls to ballet and dance company supply stores and several online searches later, i learned that with unitards, they either dont come in the color that I want and when they do, they dont come in a size that will fit me (or wont arrive in time for halloween). at one place, when the woman didnt have what i was looking for, she recommended i check out Party-City cos they have lots of costumes. im sure they get called for all kinds of weird stuff during halloween season.

So later, I went to the mall, where I had a very nice conversation with the lady at the hosiery department at Hecht's where she explained the difference between tights and thigh-highs. I thought they were the same thing. so where does panty-hose fit into the picture? It's the same as tights right? I also asked her the question on everyone's mind, "if tights are marked 'one size fits all' how long are they really?"

Later that day i discovered that tights that are marked "one size fits all" should also say "not for tall people".

Last night I realized that I dont know a whole lot about clothing assembly and was so glad to be able to leave all of that in the hands of my friend, Miraj. She worked her seamstress magic while I just stood there and played the role of mannequin.

Ive mentioned the costume idea to a few people, and the response has been pretty much the same from most people, "wow, you really get into it don't you?". I usually just nod and say "yeah, i do".

Im excited that the whole thing is coming together nicely, but I also know that the payoff is so not going to be worth the effort and trouble that has gone into this silly costume. But the one thing I have gotten from all of this is a ton of self-amusement.

Stay tuned for the spectacle.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i haven't even thought about my costume yet..hoping maybe there's a sale tomorrow..but you, you are now my inspiration and the kick in the ass I need to be one bad motherfucker for Halloween.

I can't wait to see pics of whatever it is you will be. I just love that you tried to by a unitard. what a great, not used often enough, word.

jamye
www.jamyewaxman.com

29/10/04 2:47 PM

 
Blogger neverecho said...

i'm kind of frightened. do i have to come out in my lame-ass cat costume tomorrow?

29/10/04 3:50 PM

 
Blogger marge said...

Dude you look totally pastey white in photos: http://home.earthlink.net/~markandcb/r3pinkuni.jpg

31/10/04 3:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home